Parents: Surprise! I have that parenting handbook you’ve been looking for all this time! Sigh. If only it were that easy, huh? And raising a teen has its own set of challenges. There is a reason they say parenting is the hardest job in the world. You have such an enormous responsibility to keep your child safe, foster self-confidence, instill strong morals and values, provide the right balance of nurture and discipline, teach responsibility, and promote autonomy.
It is normal for parenting to evoke emotions such as shame, frustration, and fear. I know it can feel very isolating or lonely because of the struggle of feeling like a failure or not good enough. Yet, I also know that you want the VERY BEST for your child. If you are a parent seeking family therapy with a teen (13 and older), I will strive to help you and your family:
· Feel connected through trust, empathy, and honesty
· Learn and use effective communication strategies
· Prioritize and plan around issues of safety
· Heal family wounds
· Support each other through healthy coping strategies
· Balance autonomy and inter-dependence